AGL: Energy Offers and Contact Details
AGL is one of the historic energy providers in Australia, and one of four gentailer energy companies. But what exactly do they have to offer? Read on for details about the provider's plans for electricity, gas and solar too, as well as information about AGL Smart Home starter kits. We also break down how to contact AGL if ever you have a query or need assistance, and the ways you can pay your AGL bills.
About AGL: an Overview
AGL was first founded as The Australian Gas Light Company in 1837, lighting the country’s first gas lamp in Sydney. The Australian Gas Company was an instrumental hand in the expansion of gas energy throughout Australia in the 1800s, as it not only lit the first gas lamp but also introduced gas purification in order to bring gas lighting into Australian homes. It also brought the first gas-cooking stove to the country.
In 2006, The Australian Gas Light Company became AGL Energy after merging with Alinta, then demerging to create two separate retail and infrastructure companies. Since 2006, AGL has expanded to generate energy from not only power stations, but also thermal power, natural gas, wind power, hydroelectricity, solar energy, gas storage, and coal seam gas.
Today, AGL provides energy service to customers in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and most recently in Western Australia.
Offers for Gas, Electricity and Renewable Energy
AGL is the historic provider of energy in Australia. They offer gas and electricity to customers in Western Australia, NSW, Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia. Find out more information about the various energy plans they have to offer below.
AGL Offers for Natural Gas
AGL offers six plans for its natural gas customers, with three of those plans exclusive to Western Australia. For customers in Western Australia, the plans they have available are the AGL Savers plan, AGL Set & Forget, and AGL Fixed rate. For customers in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia, AGL offers an AGL Essentials plan, AGL Essentials Plus, and AGL Smart Saver.
AGL Gas in Western Australia
For customers in Western Australia, AGL offers three gas plans:
- AGL Savers is a variable rate gas plan that rewards customers who pay on time with discounts of up to 43% on gas usage charges. In addition, this plan also comes with additional Flybuys points, as well as one month of free gas.
- AGL’s Fixed-Rate plan for Western Australia customers offers competitive fixed usage and supply rates for two years. Customers can also receive an additional 10,000 Flybuys points when they sign-up online.
- AGL Set and Forget gives customers in Western Australia savings on usage charges when paid by direct debit. Savings can reach up to 44% in some instances, and include additional Flybuy points and one month of gas for free.
AGL on the East Coast
Outside of Western Australia, AGL offers three gas plans for customers in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia. These plans follow the same system as AGL’s electricity plans.
- AGL Essentials for natural gas is a fixed-rate plan with a 12 month benefit period and comes with additional Flybuys points when you sign up online.
- AGL Essentials Plus for natural gas is similar to the AGL Essentials plan, but comes with a 24-month contract, in addition to additional Flybuys points and $20 credit every six months on the two-year contract.
- The AGL Smart Saver plan is only available to customers in New South Wales, which offers it's New South Wales customers a 12-month variable-rate plan with a small discount on both the supply charge and usage rates as well as additional Flybuys points for signing up online.
AGL Electricity Offers
AGL offers four electricity discount plans to its customers in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia. The AGL electricity plans focus on fixed-rate plans, but also offer guaranteed discount plans for customers in specific states. Details on AGL electricity plans are scarce, and for more information specific to your area, you can call AGL Customer service at 131 245, available 24/7.
- AGL Essentials plan is a fixed-rate plan that offers between a 3% to 7% discount off the reference price, depending on your location. AGL Essentials comes on a 12 month benefit period, with no exit fees. Additional benefits to signing up with AGL Essentials could include additional Flybuys points and access to AGL Rewards.
- AGL Essentials Plus plan is similar to AGL Essentials, with steeper discounts, and fixed rates guaranteed for a full two years, not just 12 months. Customers can expect discounted fixed rates up to 11% off the reference price, though discounts vary depending on your location. AGL Essential Plus customers also receive a $20 credit towards their bill every 6 months, in addition to Flybuys points and access to AGL Rewards.
- AGL Smart Savers plan is not available in all states, but where it is available it offers a small guaranteed discount on both supply charges and usage rates. Depending on your location, this could be upwards of 6% savings.
- For senior citizens, AGL offers the Seniors Plus plan, for concession cardholders. The AGL Seniors Plus plan guarantees low, fixed usage and supply rates for two years, in addition to a sign-up credit and additional credit every 6 months. The AGL Seniors Plus plan comes with a no lock-in contract and no exit fees.
Solar Energy With AGL
AGL offers solar options to customers in NSW, Queensland, South Australia, and Victoria. In addition to traditional rooftop solar panelling, AGL also offers Offsite Solar for people who can’t have solar panels on their roof (either as apartment owners, renters, or those who have the wrong type of roof). With AGL Offsite Solar, customers pay a subscription fee and receive solar generation credits on their AGL electricity bill.
- Solar Batteries from AGL
- AGL offers three battery options for solar power users:
- LG Chem RESU + SolarEdge inverter with HD-Wave technology
- LG Chem RESU + SolarEdge inverter
- Tesla Powerwall 2
AGL gives solar power users the ability to connect their solar battery to AGL’s Virtual Power Plant. AGL’s Virtual Power Plant connects home solar batteries in order to help take pressure off the electricity grid. If you choose to join the Virtual Power Plant, AGL will give you additional credits every 3 months and a one-time bonus, as well as continuing your usual solar feed-in tariff. In addition, AGL will manage your solar battery, up to 30 times a year.
Make Your Home Smart with AGL
AGL offers customers smart home packages, which can be paid back over a 12 or 24 month period alongside your electricity bill. Smart home packages come with either Google or Amazon-branded smart speakers, and come in three levels; 1, 2, or 3.
|Google Starter Kit 1||Google Starter Kit 2||Google Starter Kit 3|
Total cost: $108
Total cost: $204
Total cost: $288
|Amazon Starter Kit 1||Amazon Starter Kit 2||Amazon Starter Kit 3|
Total cost: $108
Total cost: $204
Total cost: $420
Want to Get in Touch with AGL?
AGL offers 24/7 customer service through AGL Anytime, available by calling 131 245. You can find a complete guide to contacting AGL with our Contact AGL guide.
AGL Anytime is the number to call for all your AGL needs, whether it’s to subscribe to a new plan, change your service, or cancel your current plan. If you’re moving house with AGL, log into your AGL My Account to set up your move.
AGL’s mail address for all postal correspondence:
Locked Bag 3013
Australia Square NSW 1215
How to Pay an AGL Bill
While online bill payment is unavailable for AGL, you can pay via AGL My Account, available on Google Play and the App Store as well as My Account. You can also pay your bill directly by calling 1300 657 386 with your reference number and valid bank card ready. For more information on how to pay your AGL bill, go to our AGL Contact page.
AGL Rewards Programme
AGL Rewards is available to AGL energy customers in Australia. With AGL Rewards, customers can access dozens of discounts and offers including movie tickets, groceries and fuel, shopping, experiences and more. New rewards are constantly being added and can be viewed by logging into your AGL My Account. Current customers who have not yet activated their rewards programme can also do so by logging into their AGL My Account.