NSW Family Energy Rebate: Eligibility and Application Process
There are a number of concessions and energy rebates in New South Wales, to help residents with the rising cost of electricity and gas. If you’re a family household with dependent children, and receiving the Family Tax Benefit, you might be eligible for the New South Wales Family Energy Rebate to help assist you with paying your energy bills. If you’re interested in learning more about the Family Energy Rebate, and want to find out if you’re eligible and how to apply, continue reading below for more information.
What is the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
The Family Energy Rebate in New South Wales helps family households, with dependent children, pay for the cost of their energy bills. This energy rebate is available to both retail customers, who get their energy bills directly from their energy provider, and on-supply customers who live in an on-supplied residential community and get their energy bill through a strata manager or community operator.
How do I apply for the Family Tax Benefit in order to receive the Family Energy Rebate?
In order to be able to apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate, you need to make sure you’re first receiving the Family Tax Benefit. This two-part tax benefit assists families or non-parent carers, who meet certain income requirements, with dependent children or full-time secondary student children.
The Family Tax Benefit is divided into two parts: Family Tax Benefit A is paid per child and depends on your family’s circumstances. The Family Tax Benefit B is an additional payment made if you’re a single parent or non-parent carer, grandparent carer, or a member of a couple with only one main source of income.
Eligibility for the Family Tax Benefit A and B
In order to be able to receive the Family Tax Benefit A and B, you’ll need to make sure you fulfil certain criteria. The exact eligibility requirements for each Family Tax benefit depend on the number and type of carer for the children, how many children you care for, and the age of the children.
|Family Tax Benefit A Eligibility||Family Tax Benefit B Eligibility|
Apply for the Family Tax Benefit
In order to claim the Family Tax Benefit you will need to either apply online by paper form, over the phone, or in person.
The easiest way is to claim your Family Tax Benefit online. In order to claim it you must:
Set up or log into your myGov account linked to Centrelink. You might need to confirm your identity in which you will need to provide certain documents such as a passport, visa, or birth certificate.
Gather your supporting documents for the Family Tax Benefit. You will need to provide:
- Your family’s income details
- Your partners residence details
- Both you and your partner’s tax file numbers
- Bank account details for an account in your name or joint account
- If you were born outside of Australia you will need to provide residence details and passport number and the date you started living in Australia
- Details about the child, including name and date of birth, as well as addition documents that might be required such as proof of birth or adoption, carer arrangements, or child support received
Make your claim for the Family Tax Benefit via myGov and Centrelink, and select ‘Payment and Claims’ and then choose ‘Make a claim’. Under ‘Families’ select ‘Get started’ and choose the ‘Apply for Family Assistance’.
Once you’ve submitted your claim you will get a receipt with an ID number, estimated date your claim will be processed, and a link to track your claim.
After you have received your Family Tax Benefit confirmation letter, you can then use that letter to apply for the Family Energy Rebate in New South Wales
Am I eligible for the Family Energy Rebate?
In order to be eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate, you will need to:
- Be a resident of NSW
- Either be the account holder of an energy retailer or be the on-supplied customer named on the bill of an energy retailer
- Have received the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) the previous financial year, have had your entitlement to the FTB payments finalised by Centrelink
- Ensure the person in your household applying for the Family Energy Rebate is also the one registered as the recipient of the Family Tax Benefit
How much can I get with the Family Energy Rebate in New South Wales?
The amount available to your household through the Family Energy Rebate depends on a number of factors. However, eligible retail customers who get their energy bill directly from their energy provider could get a credit on their energy bill of up to $180. If you’re an on-supply resident of a community village or strata scheme, you could be eligible for up to $198 from the Family Energy Rebate. For on-supply customers, the amount you could be eligible for depends on if you’re also receiving the NSW Low Income Household Rebate.
Apply for the Family Energy Rebate
Once you’ve checked and made sure you’re eligible for the Family Energy Rebate, you’ll need to gather some documentation and apply either online or by post or email.
What you need for the NSW Family Energy Rebate
Before starting your application for the NSW Family Energy Rebate you need to make sure you have all the correct documentation and information necessary to process your application. Before applying, you need to be sure you already:
Lodged your tax return for the previous financial year with the Australian Taxation Office. If you didn’t need to lodge a tax return, you will need to notify Services Australia of this as they cannot finalise your Family Fax Benefit until they have this information.
Received your confirmation letter from Services Australia, confirming your Family Tax Benefit has been finalised for the previous financial year.
In addition to these two things, you will also need:
- Your services Australia Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- Your Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) number if applicable
- Personal information and contact details
- A copy of your most recent electricity or gas bill
Application process for the NSW Family Energy Rebate
If applying for the NSW Family Energy Rebate online:
- Log into MyServicesNSW, or create a new MyServicesNSW account
- Select the ‘Services’ tab and choose ‘NSW Energy Rebates’
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions and enter required details
- Upload a copy of your energy bill
- Submit application
If you would rather send in the application by post or email you can download the application form, fill it out and attach a copy of your latest energy bill, and send it to the email or postal address listed on the bottom. If your NSW energy provider is not listed on the online Family Energy Rebate application you will need to complete a paper form instead.