NSW Family Energy Rebate 2022 - Eligibility & Application
If you’re a household with dependent children and are currently receiving the Family Tax Benefit, you might be eligible for the New South Wales Family Energy Rebate. Read on to learn more about the Family Energy Rebate, if you’re eligible and how to apply.
What Is the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
The Family Energy Rebate in New South Wales is a yearly energy payment that helps families reduce the cost of their energy bills with a Services NSW energy rebate. The NSW Family Energy Rebate is available to retail customers & on-supplied customers.
Retail customers are people who get their energy bills directly from their energy provider
On-supply customers are people who live in an "on-supplied residential community" and get their energy bill through a strata manager or a community operator.
How Much Do You Get for the Family Energy Rebate?
Eligible retail applicants can get $180 per year from the NSW Family Energy Rebate without a DHS Concession Card or Health Care Card.
However, if you have a DHS Concession Card or Health Care you can get $250 per year by combining the NSW Family Energy Rebate and the NSW Low Income Household Rebate.
On-supply customers can get $165 per year from the Family Energy Rebate. This also includes a 10% discount off the GST.
If you are eligible for both the Family Energy Rebate & the Low Income Household Rebate you can combe both rebates to get up to $275 per year.
Who is Eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
To be eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a resident of NSW
- You are the account holder of an energy retailer or you are the on-supplied customer named on the bill of an energy retailer
- You received the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for the previous financial year & You have your eligibility for your Family Tax Benefits payments finalised by Centrelink
- Ensure the person in your household applying for the Family Energy Rebate is also the one registered as the recipient of the Family Tax Benefit
NSW Family Energy Rebate Application Process
An important defining piece of criteria for applying for the NSW Family Energy Rebate is making sure you’re eligible for the Family Energy Rebate and Family Tax Benefits.
Once you have decided you are eligible, gather the documentation mentioned below and apply online, by post or by email.
What You Need for the NSW Family Energy Rebate Application
Before starting your application for the NSW Family Energy Rebate you need to make sure you have all the correct documentation and information necessary to process your application.
Ensure you have completed the following steps before applying to the Family Energy Rebate:
Lodge your tax return for the previous financial year with the Australian Taxation Office. If you didn’t need to lodge a tax return, you will need to notify Services Australia of this as they cannot finalise your Family Fax Benefit until they have this information.
Receive your confirmation letter from Services Australia, confirming your Family Tax Benefit has been finalised for the previous financial year.
Other documents you need to have to apply for the Family Energy Rebate include:
- Your services Australia Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- Your Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) number if applicable
- Personal information and contact details
- A copy of your most recent electricity or gas bill
How Do I Apply for The NSW Family Energy Rebate?
How to apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate online:
- Log into MyServicesNSW, or create a new MyServicesNSW account
- Select the ‘Services’ tab and choose ‘NSW Energy Rebates’
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions and enter the required details
- Upload a copy of your energy bill
- Submit application
If you would rather send in the application by post or email you can:
- Download the Family Energy Rebate Application Form (above)
- Fill out the application form and include a copy of your latest energy bill
- Send it to the email or postal address listed at the bottom of the application form
If your NSW energy provider is not listed on the online Family Energy Rebate application you will need to complete a paper form instead.
Meeting the Family Tax Benefit Requirement
To be able to apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate you must be receiving the Family Tax Benefit.
However, if you aren't currently receiving the Family Tax Benefit, you can apply for it and claim the NSW Family Energy Rebate next year.
The Family Tax benefit is a two-part tax benefit that assists families and non-parent carers who have dependent children or full-time secondary student children. Families must also meet the income requirements.
The Family Tax Benefit is divided into two parts:
- Family Tax Benefit Part A
- Family Tax Benefit Part B
Family Tax Benefit A is paid per child and depends on your child's age, family income, residency rules, and your child's immunisation records.
The Family Tax Benefit B is an additional payment made if you’re a single parent or non-parent carer, grandparent carer, or a member of a couple with only one main source of income.
Full FTB eligibility requirements can be found in the table below:
|Family Tax Benefit A Eligibility Requirements||Family Tax Benefit B Eligibility Requirements|
How to Apply for the Family Tax Benefit
To claim the Family Tax Benefit, you can apply online, over the phone, or in-person with a paper form.
You will need the following supporting documents to apply for the Family Tax Benefit
- Your family’s income details
- Your partner's residence details
- Both you and your partner’s tax file numbers
- Bank account details for an account in your name or joint account
- If you were born outside of Australia you will need to provide residence details and passport number and the date you started living in Australia
- Details about the child, including name and date of birth, as well as additional documents that might be required such as proof of birth or adoption, carer arrangements, or child support received
The easiest way to apply for the Family Tax Benefit is online.
To apply for the Family Tax Benefit online you must:
- Set up or log in to your myGov account that is linked to Centrelink.
- You will be asked to confirm your identity vía passport, visa, or birth certificate.
- Select ‘Payment and Claims’ and then choose ‘Make a claim’.
- Under ‘Families’, select ‘Get started’ and choose ‘Apply for Family Assistance’.
Once you’ve submitted your claim you will get a receipt with an ID number, the estimated date your claim will be processed, and a link to track your claim.
After you have received your Family Tax Benefit confirmation letter, you can then use that letter to apply for the Family Energy Rebate in New South Wales
Other Energy Rebates NSW
If you don’t qualify for the NSW Family Energy Rebate, New South Wales has many energy rebates available.
Other NSW Energy rebates include:
- The NSW Gas Rebate
- NSW Low Income Household Rebate
- Seniors Energy Rebate
- NSW Pension Supplement
- One-off Energy Accounts Payment Assistance Scheme (EAPA)
- Medical rebates
- Renewable energy rebates in NSW
You can also speak to the energy Ombudsman for more information about your energy supply, other electricity discounts in NSW, and find ways to reduce your bill. A smart meter is also an efficient way to track your energy consumption and reduce your bill.
Click below to find a better deal for your home!